One of Ryan and my favorite things to do together is go for a nice, long walk with a warm drink in hand. This is something that has been tradition for us since we met and became friends way back when. And now that the weather is finally starting to feel a bit spring-timey, we are enjoying each moment we are able to bust out the walking shoes, and hit the pavement yet again.
We have found that taking the time to go on walks together has been incredibly beneficial for us for a multitude of reasons.
1. First, it's good exercise. While I understand, it's not like running a marathon, walking is still such a great way to get up and moving instead of sitting like bums on the couch. Plus, it has a variety of other health benefits for your body.
2. It's a great way to destress after a long day. Just something about getting outside of the house and taking in the great outdoors is calming.
3. It eliminates all of the household and electronic distractions. Let's be honest, if you are anything like me, you are generally multitasking amidst a conversation with your loved one or spouse. My focus is often split between putting away dishes or scrolling through emails and what Ryan has to say. Going on a walk eliminates all of this and enables me to focus only on our conversation.
4. It encourages problem solving and plan making. No joke, Ryan and I have talked through such a variety of topics and created so many plans for our lives amidst a good long walk. Somehow the simple act of knowing we have one another's undivided attention inspires us to share our hopes, dreams, fears, you name it.
5. It's a cheap date idea! Seriously - it's free :).
6. It's romantic. Something about strolling hand-in-hand through your favorite park (or even through your neighborhood) with the one you love is charming. (And maybe, just maybe, your adorable stroll will spark interest in others to do the same.)